Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Makes You Think

"How's it hit you when you get that kind of news? ... I went Skydiving, I went rocky mountain climbing, I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fumanchu and I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter and gave forgiveness I'd been denying....Someday I hope you get the chance to live like you were dying." -Tim McGraw

If someone you love learns they are dying, do you live differently too? I would. I have. I have lost 3 people very close to my heart to cancer.  I hate cancer.  But I've learned that tomorrow is a gift in any circumstance, so I live fully, I love deeply and I forgive more.  Each of these people have left such a different fingerprint on my life and I can't help but be better because of them.

Dana Walling said "Everyday find out what you can do for Jesus and do it!" in May of 2000.  He taught me first hand what it means to follow  Jesus and serve Him.  When I was a junior in high school I had the flew on a trip to Mexico, Dana stepped in just like a dad would and made sure I had everything it took to feel better. He showed selfless love to who was then a stranger.  Over the next 4 years as I got to know him better, he challenged me to find out where I should serve Jesus, and we talked about Australia, a place he hadn't been. We were supposed to serve on the same team in 2000 when his cancer came back and before I returned from the trip he was gone.  But still today remains a guiding light in my path when I am frustrated in life.  He once said, "It's ok to shake an angry fist at God, as long as your other hand has a firm grip on His shirttail."
Thank you Dana for giving of your life and for your leadership.

Lowell taught me about family.  I spent the summer of 2003 living with my Grandfathers side of the family in a small highly Amish populated town in Iowa.  My favorite thing about Lowell is that he bonded our family together.  He had a way about him that just draws people together.  He was a hard working farmer, the kind of man that got up before the sun and worked until after it went down, a peacemaker to his core.  He often fell asleep in church, but man could he quote scripture! I remember this one time during my summer on the farm, I was doing chores in my "California Girl" board shorts and swim suit and he asked me if I wanted to go for a ride... in Iowa this is always a fun thing to do.  Little did I know we were going to the Amish farm next door where they are covered head to toe in clothing.  My attire was less than appropriate to say the least. He just laugh at my unwillingness to get out of the truck and said "Oh, come meet the Yoders" Shortly after getting out of the truck the entire family, what looked like 25 people, were all staring at me. We had a good laugh at my expense that day. But I love that day.

And finally Mamma Sharon. From the day I met her until the day she went Home she was a light in my life.  She was there for me with the best hugs in the world at the most perfect times and the most encouraging words just when I needed them.  Her laugh was contagious.  I remember multiple moments where tears became the only response to life and she was there to show me what I couldn't.  I remember our families watching the Daytona 500 together and I don't even like NASCAR (I know, but she loved me anyway).  I remember family dinners whenever we could and then after we moved from SD, every time we were back in town.  And I remember sitting with her last September talking about Chemo and moving and Purell and raising children. I raided her cupboards for food like any kid that comes home, but that day, just like any the other, she left nuggets of wisdom in every part of my life.  When I found out Sharon had cancer, I was angry, when I found out it took her life, I wasn't ready.  I'm still not ready.  But I trust that in all things God works together for the good of those who love him and that we will reunite on a glorious day in heaven someday.

So what would you do if you lost someone you love too soon? Would you change the way you live? Would fishing not become such an imposition? Don't just make an adventure list, DO IT! For Yourself! I really hope you get the chance to live like you were dying, don't wait until its all you have, live fully now.  I hope it makes you think what you would do with the life you have been given and what matters most.

No comments: