Vacation–noun 1. a period of suspension of work, study, or other activity, usually used for rest, recreation, or travel; recess or holiday...
'Life is either a great adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller
That about sums it up. Last week I caravaned down to LA with a new friend to see an old friend. What unfolded in the week that followed far surpassed any expectations of my imagination. What a blessing it was simply to get away for a few days but it still amazes me the way a day at the beach can refresh me. I'm pretty sure the ocean and a motorcycle ride have the same effect on my psyche!
After turning a 6 hour drive into 12, Jenn and I had dropped Hali off in Fresno, toured the campus of Fresno State, and had lunch at the Dog House Grill... Go there, its amazing! Once we finally made it to Pasadena, we got the cars unloaded and then I left to see my Very Best Friend In The Whole Wide World Ever (VBFITWWWE aka the longest of nicknames one could possible have ;)). Since the next day was Labor Day the VBFITWWWE: Christy, Jenn and I decided to avoid the beach and explore Pasadena. Pasadena doesn't feel like the big city it is and I really enjoyed our exploration day. We heard they filmed the Father of the Bride there, but didn't get the chance to find the house, maybe next time.
Our next adventure took us to Newport Beach and Inspiration Point Tuesday afternoon. After babysitting Chirsty's niece and nephew that morning, it was a perfect way to end the day. Thanks Rachel for the suggestion! It's really amazing to think about how God created beauty in the simple act of a setting sun! Wednesday was full of amazing adventures too. First Erica, Christy and I explored APU, which I have to admit has an amazing Science building! After a bit Christy left us for her first class of the semester, so Erica and I headed to visit Roo at Pepperdine. I felt like I was on a college exploration trip, but since I never took one it was fun. Seeing Roo... great, her campus... beautiful, the thought that she was to walk 3 miles a day just to eat 3 meals... hilariously sad. And I can't wait to go visit again!
On Thursday I finalized "Joe's To Do List" which included a practice session with Christy and I playing Old MacDonald had a Farm on recorders, we figured it wouldn't be very nice to make him play something we couldn't... and No I won't play for you... anymore, TARA! And if it sounds easy to you please be my guest.. try it! I have to admit he did much better on the Christy Quiz than I expected him to, but we'll have to finish the playground obstacle course next time... watch out Joe, you better practice! After all our hard work it was time to meet up with Jenn, Bree and Erica for the first NFL game of the season at the Yardhouse. I think we were the only all female table there... shocking! But we had a great time multitasking as we watched the game, had dinner, texted the score updates to Tara, and caught up on our lives, bet those men just watched the game ;)!
On Friday we made our way to SAN DIEGO!! Pretty sure that's where I left my heart! We wanted to stop by Point Loma for a few minutes, but a few hours later we finally made our way off campus to see Sharon! While on campus though, we not only enjoyed spectacular views, but we stopped in to see old friends, roommates, and professors. I have to say the day was filled with good news too, who doesn't love that! I found out our old roommate Suzy is expecting her first baby, and Sharon got a clean bill of health after being diagnosed with colon cancer. Still praying it stays that way! Then it was time for the big first meeting of the VBFITWWE's boyfriend :)
First, I should explain that Christy and I have been best friends for 11 years, and we are very honest with each other about what we think, when we think it, blunt is probably an understatement. With that said.. Joe is great! I enjoyed hanging out with him, and most importantly I knew that he loved my best friend, but add to that... he took amazing care of her this past 6 months when I couldn't be there as she dealt with thyroid cancer. Joe gets the VBFITWWE thumbs up.
When Saturday finally arrived, so did breakfast with KEN! Pretty sure he had a hard time keeping up with my stories, but we managed to cover all the important things happening in our lives in an hour, so I must have avoided a Fish Market situation... then proving once again how amazing he is, he hooked us up with tickets to the Padres/Giants game. Where the 1st place Padres beat the Giants in a very fast 2 hour game. After the game my college roommate Jessica and I met up with another roommate Gretchen for dinner at Pizza Nova, before finding a local playground to explore! Ironically while playing on the playground we talked about how old we are getting.
When Sunday came I couldn't decide where to go to church. When I lived in San Diego I had a hard time connecting and getting plugged in, now I was having a hard time deciding where to go because I was only there for 1 weekend, God is Good! I decided to go to 2 different churches, one that is part of TCI and one with my old roommates. I enjoyed both of the sermons and got to experience two very different services. At North Coast Church everyone hears the same message but there are different buildings for different worship styles. So you can have anything from Traditional to Country to Rock to no music at all while you're at church. It was very different but I liked it. Then it was off to Solana Beach Presbyterian Church. I think that I could find a church home here if I were living near Solana Beach. The Pastor was very genuine while still bringing the Word and challenging the congregation to live as Christ, it was wonderful! After church we went to one of my favorite Cafes because it is steps from the water and is all organic. The rest of the afternoon was spent on the beach in Del Mar catching up with friends and enjoying my last full day in So Cal. I definitely could have stayed longer, it was a perfect getaway!
Back in LA, I met Jenn for dinner and we called Mr. Knight to wish him a happy birthday just a little early. Then after a morning breakfast with Christy, I headed home! All in all a great week!! Must repeat, soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment