The Decade leading up to 2011 has been quite eventful. Remember Y2K? A successful turn of the millennium lead to many changes both for me and the world we live in. Its hard to believe there was once a time without an iPod, American Idol, or FACEBOOK, but believe it or not, those were unveiled in the first decade of the 21st Century. Newsweek summarized a very full decade in a few short minutes, take a look: The Decade in Seven Minutes.
As for me, it might take more than 7 min :). As the decade began, I was finishing my first year of college at Point Loma Nazarene University and about to venture off to Australia for my first LoveWorks Mission trip. While there, we lead sports camps gearing up for the 2000 Sydney Olympics. Probably my favorite missions trip to date!
And who doesn't remember where they were Sept. 11, 2001? I certainly do, I was in my dorm room getting ready for my Christian Tradition class when my mom called to tell me to turn on the news. I went ahead to class where we followed the news coverage and it began to sink in all that was happening. Today My heart and prayers go out to the families directly effected by the tragedy. 2002 shaped me into the person I have become. I spent that summer working on our family's farm in Kalona, Iowa. Not only did I learn what family meant, but I also learned how to be a farm hand. Who else can say that? I dare you to call me a city girl now! Well okay, I'm still quite the city girl but at least I can cook like a mid-westerner now! The following summer was probably the most difficult of my years yet. I spent it as a youth pastor to Jr. High students on the Island of Oahu. I know it sounds like a dream, but in fact I learned how much growing up I still had to do. So many challenges at such young ages for these kids, it was very difficult to have confidence in myself as a leader. Now with most of them grown up, I continue to hope and pray that God has all of them in is arms and is leading them in wisdom.
2004 ended an Era, F.R. I.E.N.D.S concluded leaving Thursday nights never the same again, oh and I graduated from college. With BA in Social Work and no real plan of what to do next I didn't know where I was going. Working for the YMCA's PRYDE program, attempting to keep kids from becoming gang members, directed my path in social work in a way I wouldn't understand until later.
In 2005 I enjoyed a lot of time in downtown San Diego, cheering for the San Diego Padres in their 2nd year in the new stadium ultimately leading to an October of playoffs. But after unsuccessfully job hunting in San Diego that fall, I came home to Sacramento to aid my Grandfather in the caring for my ailing Grandmother. Blessed beyond measure by her life, I spent the next 3 years caring for her before she passed away. I miss her everyday but rejoice that she is dancing in heaven at the feet of Jesus now.
In 2006, I started attending Bayside church in Granite Bay after one of my favorite uncles from Iowa when to be with with Lord. It had been a while since I had found a church body that I wanted to be a part of. While attending Bayside I decided to volunteer for this conference call Thrive. Little did I know, these people would become my family too. Being a part of the Events team, I grew and learned more than I ever could have imagined.
And in 2008, I began working for the boss from the church finally using my Social Work degree. I never would have imagine that volunteering in a completely different field would lead me to the career I've fallen in love with. I have spent the last 2+ years working with a family with 3 teenage boys on the Autism Spectrum. I have a passion not only for these boys but also for behavioral therapy in general.
2009 was filled with many ups and downs, twists and turns. At one point I even found myself 13,000 ft in the air, jumping out of a perfectly good airplane ;). Checking skydiving off my adventure list was definitely the highlight of 2009, but doesn't even compare to the amazing things God has done in my life in 2010.
After a unexpected end to 2009, I had no idea what was in store for this year. Looking back now, I'm sad to see it go. From great Bible Studies, to new friends, to new adventures, 2010 was packed with good moments. In March, I went snowboarding for the first time, that was painful :). In April, I attended Thrive for the first time, and as much as I appreciated begin able to attend, I belong behind the scenes. In May, I fired my first gun... way more fun than I expected. June was full of adventures, from Iowa for a week, to Yosemite's Vernal Falls, I really felt spoiled. In July, we began to hang out with people after the Shore, which would develop into something only God gets credit for. In August, there were way to many goodbyes, but alas one last getaway would proved to cement friendships before sending those leaving on their way. In Sept, I escaped to San Diego for a week of fun, and met the infamous Joe, Christy keeps telling us about. I'm sure it doesn't matter, but yes I like him for her. I also had to say goodbye to Jenn for the next year so she could rock her internship in Pasadena. In Oct, I finally got away to Apple Hill before heading to Tahoe with the Shore for the annual retreat. In November I had the privilege of attending Bethel Church in Redding, Ca where God is moving in powerful ways. And if you're ever up in Redding, or even just passing by I suggest a stop at the Sundial Bridge, although you shouldn't expect to know what time it is when you're there. Dec was filled with all kinds of holiday fun. Two formal Christmas parties and a trip to San Francisco to see Union Square at Christmas time top the list.
Thanks for visiting Memory Ln with me, I hope you enjoyed the trip :) Im sure there are things I have forgotten, but feel free to look back on past blogs for the updates :).
Have a Wonderful 2011!!
No comments:
Post a Comment